Monday, March 18, 2013

Bird's Nest Coconut Macaroon Cookies for Easter!!



Happy Monday Everyone! Today I want to share with you this fun recipe that my mom and I changed up a bit. Originally these were just ordinary, delicious coconut macaroons created by the one and only Barefoot Contessa. But being the genius, fabulous (must I go on?) cook that my mom is, she changed the shape of these to form little "Bird Nests" that could be filled with Robin's Eggs or Jelly beans!! They are just too cute not to share! Yesterday, Jay, my mom, and I  set out to film the process of making these cute little macaroons. Despite all of the obstacles ( Diesel constantly wanting in and out, and in and out), it turn out quite well.  I would love for you to watch the video, I will link it at the bottom of this post! I decided to post the recipe on here instead of the info box on the video just because it would crowd the info box, lol. I hope that you try these macaroons, if you do please let me know in a comment below, or tweet me!!



On to the Recipe...

What you will need:

14 ounces sweetened shredded coconut
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 extra-large egg whites, at room temperature
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

First you will need to preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Next, Combine the coconut, vanilla extract, and condensed milk in a large bowl. Whip the egg whites and kosher salt until they form soft peaks  ( I suggest using an electric mixer). Fold the egg whites into the coconut mixture gently. 

Scoop the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The recipe calls for about two teaspoons per macaroon, but you can make them whatever size you want (you may just need to adjust the cooking time). Form the batter into a circle and add the indention into the center to form the basket (or nest!). Bake for about 25 to 30 min and allow to cool.

Once the macaroons are cool add Robin's Eggs or Jellybeans ( or whatever you like) to the nest! 
& LASTLY but... most IMPORTANTLY 
Enjoy
<3
I highly recommend checking out the Barefoot Contessa's website for more delicious recipes! I love her recipes because they are simply, with little ingredients, but still yummy!
Thank you for stopping by an be sure to check out my video on this recipe. Hopefully it will be the first of many cooking videos! Please let me know what you think in a comment, it would make my day! 
xoxo,
Morgan







No comments:

Post a Comment